Monday, April 16, 2018

PROFILES IN RESEARCH EXCELLENCE: Dr. Pamela Kreeger


The Kreeger Lab
Well, not the lab, actually.  Just the people who work in it.

Insofar as it is possible, let me introduce Pamela K. Kreeger, Ph.D.  Dr. Kreeger graduated from Valparaiso University in 2000 (making her ~ 39 years old).  She received her Ph.D. from Northwestern University, post doc’d at M.I.T, and now is an Associate Professor at U. Wisconsin, Madison.  And that’s all I know about her personally, after 30 minutes of prying using the internet.  I could email her for more, but I won’t – I want her hard at work, not answering stupid questions from people like me.

Dr. Kreeger is affiliated with the Department of Bioengineering.  The lab has a newsletter:


which tells us that it (Pamela and co-authors) have published 27 studies in the last decade.  From the photo (above) she has nearly a dozen budding young scientists to supervise.  (In my prime I had as many as three, and expended much energy and wasted much time keeping them from killing each other.  I admire you, Pam).

Anyway, MRC has awarded Dr. Kreeger $60,000 to investigate the feasibility of using a drug already approved by the FDA (for other purposes) to inhibit metastasis in ovarian cancer.  It seems that this drug discourages cancer seeds carried in the blood stream from adhering to other parts of the abdomen.   Many mice will die to test whether this is true.  Let’s hope it is.  Thank you. Dr. Kreeger.

No comments:

Post a Comment