Thursday, May 9, 2013

THE CANCER GENOME AND ITS USES



In her mobile home, North Lake Samish. 
Waiting for Prince Charming
I doubt if she had me in  mind
The dust from my Cinco de Mayo Cumpleanos Ochenta Celebration finally has settled.  There were about 30 people here, and all seemed to enjoy themselves.  My granddaughters did much of the shopping.  Unfortunately it appears that they are used to feeding marathon runners and weight lifters in their twenties, not a bunch of sedentary city folk  with a median age of about 60.  Thus, you can easily imagine the state of my refrigerator.  Anybody want two quartz of guacamole?  How about four dozen corn tortillas?  IF I can thrive on ground meat, cheese and tequila I will have no need for grocery stores until mid-August, at the earliest.   And by then I may be in Iceland, where I will subsist on shark-fin soup and braised seaweed.  How much weight will I lose, you ask?  Not enough.
So, anyway, I want to report on some new cancer research.  The sharp eyes of Dick Ingwall detected the following and dispatched it to me
From this link you can follow further links to an abundance of information.  I did, and some of it I think I understood.
The topic of this article is how best to classify cancers.  Traditionally they have been subdivided based on the tissue or organ they affect:  ovarian, breast, lung, etc.  Within this broad category tumors are further differentiated by pathologists, who examine slices of tissue under a microscope.  The correct categorization of a tumor can be critical; some therapies work well on some kinds of cancers but not at all on other types.  Mistakes seem to be made rather frequently.  Fortunately, a new and more reliable  (but, I would wager, much more expensive) diagnostic technique involves the determination of precisely which  genes in the tumor are mutated, and how.  This is done using the findings of the  TCGA, which codes for The Cancer Genome Atlas.  TGCA comprises a massive, multi-institutional effort funded by the NIH (yes, that very NIH, the one that our leaders in Washington just hobbled with a substantial  budget cut*.)  The authors involved in these studies seem confident that basing treatment on similarities in cancer genomes is the way to go.  For instance, some kinds of ovarian, breast, colon and lung cancers share similar DNA defects.  Thus, research on breast cancer may reflect on ovarian, and vice versa.     Through my ongoing efforts to wrap my mind around epigenetics I know that genes are not the whole story, but they are a big pary of it.  Thus, I am mildly stoked.  But...
So, okay, this isn’t a cure, I acknowledge.  Incremental progress is fundamentally dissatisfying.    We all want some towering genius to announce: “Oh, cancer?   Why, we can get rid of it THIS way.  Now lets' go onto something more interesting.”   Sorry, ain’t  gonna happen.    We need to keep pecking away .  The ultimate payoff will be well worth the frustration.

*You didn't  complain?  Tut, tut
 


8 comments:

  1. Oh, I just found two unopened cases of beer in my garage. Drop over for a chat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thing. I notice is that nearly everything , post-party, that I find in my refrigerator is “organic”. Organic salsa. Organic black beans. Organic tortillas. Organic bread. Even, so help me God, organic beer. This is totally contrary to my grocery-purchasing practices. I never buy organic, unless that’s all there is. Why? Well, organic costs more, for one thing. But more importantly: organic farming causes global warming! How, you ask? Well, it’s like this. Because organic farmers eschew things like pesticides and chemical fertilizers – not to mention shuddering reflexively at the merest mention of anything genetically modified – it takes more land to feed the world organically than otherwise. Organic farming thus leaves less room for trees. Trees absorb enormous amounts of carbon dioxide; expanding forests diminish greenhouse gases. Eating local is a good idea; eating organic, not necessarily.
    My case is overstated, of course, and meant to amuse – as well as ruffle feathers. But it contains a kernel of truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you have opened a can of (organic)worms, Dad! Maybe some take "organic" a bit far, but, all those pesticides and fertilizers have also been blamed for causing cancer. But I didn't realize that even the beer was organic! Are you tired of enchiladas yet?
    Linda K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I never eat organic unless I have to, and I have outlived you all!

      By the way: (organic) worms is a nice turn of phrase. When my father used to say he was going outside to eat some worms - and you would cry - he meant organic worms.

      Delete
  4. Hmmm Interesting point but I'm inclined to agree with Linda. I think if you want to live longer you best eat organic and avoid all the toxins that are in non-organic food. It tastes better besides being better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I bought you the May edition of National Geographic and will leave it at Karen's for you to read. Interesting article on genetics of aging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is an example of how complicated gene therapy is likely to be:

    http://www.clinicaladvisor.com/web-exclusives/multigene-tests-can-change-hereditary-breast-ovarian-cancer-management/article/432712/


    ReplyDelete