Tuesday, May 14, 2013

SUMMERUN NORTH 2013



Linda and unknown baby.
From the beard, post 1990
From the license plate and trees, maybe Alaska
Pretty surely a parking lot
Did she just snatch a baby from a parked car?
Any ideas?
 
As most of you know, the Marsha Rivkin Center for Ovarian Cancer Research raises a large proportion of its funds by sponsoring a “fun run” in downtown Seattle.  This year the event is to be held on July 21st; if you would like to know more about it, Google  “Summerun” to get to the MRC web site.  It promises to be a memorable affair; fun, for a worthy cause.
But, just as last year, I won’t be there, although I have entered a team.  Its name is “Linda’s Team”, and it will have no members, if all goes well.  Here is why.
The race starts at 8:30 am.  It is at least two hour to downtown Seattle, even on a Sunday morning.  Parking is available – and will be free, for a few hours.  Nevertheless, in order to get there in time to pick up the race packet and distribute the stuff therein we would have to leave Bellingham by 6:00 am at that latest.    Add to that the fact that most of Linda’s Team will consist of folks only a few years (or decades) younger than me, none of whom  are planning to break the course record.  (I don’t know what it is, but the race is 5 km long.)   So, just as last year, we are planning an alternative event – Summerun North.  Due to a previous engagement it can’t be on July 21st, so we are going to throw it on July 28th (a Sunday.)  It will be held at my house, from 10:30 to whenever.  There will be hot dogs and buns, pop and beer, and whatever accompaniments and goodies the participants decide to bring.  The “Run” part of the event will likely be a walk, through Fairhaven or possibly Edgemore. 
(Okay, I know this mostly is a repeat of stuff I wrote in my blog  yesterday.  I just realized it.  Anyway, what follows is new.)
Here is how you donate to Linda’s Team:
1)      Google “Summerun”, then click on “Donate”
2)      Click on the big green square that says “Donate”
3)      Click on Donate to an Individual
4)      Enter “Linda’s Team”
5)      Click “Donate”.  Do not “Join”
6)      Enter credit card # and amount, and fill out the rest of the form.
7)      To finalize the deal you will have to translate one of those drunken letter sequences.  If you can’t do it at first, try, try again.  You’ll get it eventually.  It took me three tries.
So, I hope somebody tries it soon and gets back to me with difficulties, etc.  I actually have a little clout with the MRC people and it is possible that I could get the process simplified.

Oh, there will be T-shirts for purchase.  To find all about that, go to http://www.customink.com/signup/3a9v6j52
Finally:  You can come to Summerun North and not donate, and you can donate and not come to the “Run”, but I hope many of you  do both.  Stay tuned for more exciting developments.
 

 
 
  • 

3 comments:

  1. I was a fat baby with a flat head and no hair....but then it couldn't be post-1990.

    Planning to donate to Summerun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like Angelina to me. Could it be summer of 1994?
    Linda K

    ReplyDelete