Wednesday, May 22, 2013

May 22, 2011



In our hearts forever
On this second anniversary of Linda’s death I can do no better than to repeat what I wrote on May 22, 2011
My beloved companion of 30+ years left today at 4:20 pm.  She had struggled bravely for days, but in the end her going was peaceful and in its way, almost beautiful.  If there is a heaven she is surely there, with the mother she hasn’t seen in five years, and the father she has  missed for over 50 years.  There will be a Celebration of Life but I don’t know when*; you will all be informed.  Hospice House is a wonderful institution.  Your friendship is a great blessing.  Life can be painful, but I guess it’s worth the effort.
As for me now, the pain is still here and as intense as ever, but I have learned  to cope with it.  And I continue to work to the best of my poor ability to hasten, if by only a few hours, that inevitable day when no woman ever again has to suffer what Linda suffered, and no man has to stand by, helpless, and watch his beloved wife die of ovarian cancer, and be powerless to intervene.  
*It was held on July 24th; about 65 people attended –a small fraction of those who loved her.


5 comments:

  1. I keep this picture on my desktop at work and during last night's class, I opened it and showed it to a student. Interesting that we are both drawn to that picture--to me it is pure love and beauty. That is my little Ella she is cradling. I miss my sister--we were supposed to grow old together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Lord, how I wish you had been able to grow old together! That was my game plan, too: I would live to reasonably ripe old age, assisted by my beautiful wife, and then I would pass on peacefully, secure in the knowledge that you and Linda would live together as happy, active, thoroughly loveable old ladies. It didn't happen. But, life goes on and we will keep on doing our best.

      Delete
  2. Linda, in our thoughts too <3 She was 'still waters that run deep', gentle in her demeanor, but strong in her convictions. Never one to show off her accomplishments, with exception of her gorgeous quilts (!), and yet her accomplishments were many. She cared for her patients with dedication and professionalism. She gathered lifelong friends where ever she went. Best of all, Linda adored Myrl and her family, and she made sure they knew it. A wonderful legacy and sweet memories.

    David & Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  3. In some ways it seems like much longer that Linda has been gone. Two whole years. I miss her. I am so sad that she will not be here to welcome her two great grandchildren into the world this fall as I know she would be so excited and happy to meet them.

    Linda K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, almost painfully regret that she will not be here to greet the new generation. A little girl, and now a little boy! How she would have loved them, and what gorgeous quilts she would have made for them! I’d like to think that – maybe – she will know and share in the family’s happiness. Who knows? I certainly don’t.

      Delete