Monday, May 13, 2013

I ADMIT (temporary) DEFEAT

 
 
In our new home, probably a wedding anniversary
 
I wish I could still get into that coat
 
 
Some of you may remember that, on March 3, 2012, I stated that my goal was  to cure ovarian cancer, and win the Nobel Prize in medicine – both before I turned 80.  Well, today is May 13, 2013, my birthday, and I have  fallen somewhat short – although I prefer to see it as postponed victory.  I know personally of two new cases of ovarian cancer, so clearly the beast is still out there.  Moreover, I waited up ‘till midnight for that longed-for phone call from Oslo, and it never came.  So, I am, at least temporarily, a failure – but not, by God, a quitter.  My new goal is to see ovarian cancer confined to the medical history books, and to have that Nobel money to spend, both  before I am 90.  (A typo, which I just corrected said, “before I am 900.”  I hope eradiation doesn’t take that long.) 
So, anyway…  I won’t be going down to Seattle until May 20th.  When I go I will be helping the Hutch people put together the Research Advocates section of their new NIH proposal, and also the Rivkin people to organize their big fund-raising event, the Summerun.  As before’ we plan to have a Summerun North in Bellingham, for all those people who want to participate and contribute but don’t feel like getting up at 0430 hours for a trip to Seattle, and who furthermore would prefer to walk rather than run.  Current plans are to hold the event at my house and walk either through Fairhaven or Edgemore.  As before there will be a barbeque provided by the host, plus – I hope – all sorts of other edibles contributed by the “contestants”.     Also, as before, as this is a fund raiser I hope to extract a “suggested donation” from each participant – except  Woody, last year’s  winner, who is only five years old and thus is exempt.
The real Summerun, the one in Seattle, is on the 21st of July.  Due to a scheduling problem I will have to hold our northern version on July 28th.  As before their will be T-shirts for purchase .   The name of our group will remain “Linda’s Team”.  More details will be reported as we find and overcome them.  Stay tuned.
Oh, and if you want to congratulate me on attaining  the awesome age of 80, you can do one or more of several things:
1)      Send me a funny card.  I already have about two dozen.  I will decide which one is funniest, and feature it in a future blog.
2)      Donate to Linda’s Fred Hutch Tribute:  http://getinvolved.fhcrc.org/goto/lindajoycebeck. 
3)      Tell somebody about my blog, and lie to them about how much you enjoy it.  The purpose of this thing is to reach as many people as possible, and keep them thinking about ovarian cancer research.


2 comments:

  1. You have not featured your funniest birthday card in a blog yet! You got some good ones at your party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been procrastinating because the decision was so difficult. All my cards were funny, except the ones that weren't supposed to be. So..., funniest: You've finally reached the age where you know all the answers. Too bad you can't remember the questions, from Terri Plake. Runner up, You've got that something extra that separates the men form the boys. Age, from Penny and Jay. Most sincere: Dick and Rae Joyce. Runner-up, Carolyn Joyce. Most difficult to categorize, Bovine greeting from Joanne and Dick Ingwall. Cutiest, gray kitten with caption "See. The more gray hair you have the cuter you look", from Livi and Linda. Thanks to everybody. Myrl

      Delete