Friday, March 25, 2022

WHY IMMUNOTHERAPY SOMETIMES DOESN'T WORK


                Linda and the wrath of Henry VIII

I have written quite a few times previously of immunotherapy and my hope that it would be a potent weapon against ovarian cancer.  However, of late I have begun to mumble ill-temperedly about how things weren’t working out so well.  Turns out immunotherapy is a wonder-worker for some cancers, but is largely a bust for OVCA.  This website helps to explain why.

I should have written “helps”, above, because the cited article is dripping in biotech-speak, and is several rungs above my educational level.  You might give it a go anyway; you are bound to get something from it, if only a renewed appreciation of just how infernally complicated cancer biology seems to be.  For my part I glommed onto statements such as “…. The tumor knows that in the presence of this molecule it must produce this other molecule in order to protect itself from those nasty T cells and thus grow and multiply”.  (My phraseology, of course).    HOW  in hell can a tumor know anything?  More to the point, how can purely Darwinian evolution account for such a complicated defense mechanism – especially considering that the tumor in no sense “reproduces”, and moreover kills its host? 

Maybe there is a Devil, after all.

https://www.drugtargetreview.com/news/102064/study-provides-possible-answers-to-why-immunotherapy-for-ovarian-cancers-often-fails/   

No comments:

Post a Comment