Thursday, December 9, 2021

OCRA AND THE "DREAM TEAM"


 Linda visiting her mother at Friendship Village,        Kalamazoo, Michigan

               Much like The Willows, where I now reside

Have I said enough about OCRA, the Ovarian Cancer Research Alliance?  Probably not.  OCRA is a non-profit that seems to operate much like our more local organization, the Marsha Rivkin Center for Ovarian Cancer Research.  That is, it raises money by hook or crook, then funds research projects selected by a committee of experts.  Both OCRA and the Rivkin Center also do good work by simply getting OVCA out into the public eye, harassing Congress for more funding, and so forth.  I tend to favor Rivkin because I once volunteered there, and its founder, Saul Rivkin, is one of my heroes.  Actually, when I donate I usually go straight to the front line by sending my contribution to Fred Hutch, using Linda’s web page:

https://secure.fredhutch.org/site/TR/PersonalFundraisingPages/General?px=1148821&pg=personal&fr_id=1573

Anyway, the link at the bottom of this blog will tell you about some research funded by OCRA and performed by their “dream team”, which includes a U. Washington researcher with whom I have had some contact – Elizabeth Swisher.  Swisher is, as we once were wont to say, the real deal.  You may find this article a bit technical, but if you persevere you will obtained some useful insights.  Go for it!

https://standuptocancer.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Scientific-Abstract-Ovarian-cancer1.pdf 

No comments:

Post a Comment