Sunday, December 26, 2021

LOMA LINDA


 Linda, after an exhausting five mile, steeply uphill hike

                            Why she didn't divorce me I'll never know

Loma Linda is a town in what I regard as a conspicuously unpleasant patch of Southern California: near San Bernadino, Riverside, Colton, Redlands, etc.  I grew up in that area and, as a kid, I remember it as a pleasant land of small towns surrounded by citrus orchards, rimed by beautiful mountains, and enjoying fresh air and sunshine.  Now, of course, it has evolved into a land of chronically smog-plagued lower middle class housing developments, connected by freeways that roar day and night.  Such is Californian progress, I guess: glad I live up here.

Anyway, Loma Linda has a university.  It was founded by, and is supervised by, the Seventh Day Adventist Church.  I tend to be skeptical of universities that are closely tied to religious bodies, but Loma Linda University seems to be totally legit.  (I once ran into one of their geology field trips.  The kids were bright, knowledgeable – and agreed that the earth is a lot more than 6,700 years old.)

Loma Linda University has a medical school that is quite highly regarded.  They do a lot of cancer research; the (SCCA) oncologist who treated Linda was active there for a time.  The Loma Linda cancer clinic has just produced the video transcribed below, and you should watch it.  It is highly generalized but quite useful nonetheless.  It covers cancer in general but does mention breast and ovarian.  Go to it.

https://news.llu.edu/patient-care/half-century-of-research-clinical-advancements-culminate-preserving-patient-lives

No comments:

Post a Comment