Wednesday, July 17, 2019

ANOTHER LONG MAGAZINE ARTICLE YOU OUGHT TO READ


LINDA, IN THERAPY, AT A QUILTING RETREAT

I have written about  Dr. Siddhartha Mukherjee numerous times.  He is the author of a tremendously valuable book about cancer, The Emperor of All Maladies, which I praised wholeheartedly, as well a later book, The Cell:  an intimate history, which I didn’t like nearly so well.  Mukherjee also writes magazine articles and appears on TV.  I find this remarkable, because – as I understand it – his “day job” is full-time cancer researcher.  I chided him about becoming spread way to soon in an earlier blog:  https://ljb-quiltcutie.blogspot.com/2018/06/god-damn-it-sidd-get-back-to-work.html.

Well, seems Sidd doesn’t read my stuff, because he has published yet another lengthy essay, this time in the New Yorker Magazine. 

So, about this article…  It’s long.  It’s easy to read.  It has lots of interesting information, much of which you probably already know.  I think it is a bit disorganized, but Sidd is a certified genius, so what do I know?  It starts out as a selective history of the development of cellular medicine, gives you a brief explanation of how CAR T therapy works, or does not work, then ends with a discussion of how we are going to pay for cures of the future.  And throughout Sidd, masterful writer that he is, keeps you hooked with human interest stuff.

Okay, I recommend that you undertake this article.  Sidd is super bright and well educated, so anything he writes is worth reading.  But, as I’ve expressed before – I wish he would put more of that intellectual energy into curing cancer.
Put on that white coat, Sidd!

No comments:

Post a Comment