Tuesday, May 22, 2018

SEVEN YEARS AGO TODAY


Linda at work
Seven years ago today the world lost one darned good physical therapist.
And I lost the love of my life.

Seven years ago today Linda Joyce Beck, my brave, beautiful wife, was taken from us by ovarian cancer.  To mark that date I am going to post a passage written over 150 years ago by John Rawlins, a loyal friend and indispensable assistant to Ulysses. S. Grant for much of his life.  Rawlins lost his beloved wife at an early age.  Many years later he wrote of her:

Few of earth’s daughters were so fair; none in Heaven stand nearer the throne

I know just how he felt.


5 comments:

  1. This guy climbed Mt. Everest to raise money to fight cancer. He raised $339,000. Good for him.
    He arrived at the summit on May 22nd, seven years after the day that Linda died.

    http://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2018/06/everest-timmerman-returns-fundraiser.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=hutchnewsjuly2018

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote this a little over four years ago, on the anniversary of Linda’s death. I couldn’t post anything this year because I was away from my computer. I am re-posting this because I think Rawlins’ words are very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Myrl, thanks for sharing this wonderful picture of Linda in much happier times. This must be a very difficult day for you and Carolyn too and my thoughts are with you both. Nora

      Delete
  3. It is always a sad day for me. Now 11 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of you Carolyn on this most difficult day as you hold precious memories of Linda close to your heart. Nora

      Delete