Thursday, May 17, 2018

OVCA research helps pancreatic cancer victims


Linda encounters a cow

Did you miss me?  Sure you did. 

I haven’t posted a blog in over two weeks, owing to the happy fact that I have been scrounging a leisurely life from my daughter Linda and her husband Paul, at their splendid farm in western Wisconsin.  It was wonderful, sitting in the warm sun on their patio, watching birds, reading and just snoozing now and then – while Paul and Linda worked their butts off.  I guess being 85, which I turned while there, has its privileges.  Frankly, in a second  I would gladly trade whatever those privileges might be for another crack at 60!

But, anyway, I can now identify Holstein, Hereford, and Black Angus cows, and I know what CRP stands for.  How about you?

So, here is a little blip about PARP inhibitors and pancreatic cancer.


There is a drug, rucaparib, that has recently been approved for treating ovarian cancer in patients with BRCA1,2 mutations.  It is a PARP inhibitor – and you know what that means*  It turns out that BRCA mutations are somehow implicated in some types of  pancreatic cancer, and early trials indicate that rucaparib is helpful here as well.  Helpful – but not a cure. 

Pancreatic cancer is one of the worst afflictions God and/or nature has inflicted on us.  Past time we had some uplifting news.

*PARP is an enzyme that repairs double-stranded breaks in DNA.  As such, it is a good guy.  However, in the case of cancer – rapid growth leads to lots of breaks, but the cancer deploys its own PARP regiments to allow it continue to grow.  Hence PARPi, which inhibits the PARP molecule, thus preventing it from doing its job. 

How it does this is beyond our pay grade.  

1 comment:

  1. I should have pointed out that this is an example of a hopeful new development in oncology: fitting the therapy to the genomic mistake that caused the cancer, and not to the locality where it arose. THIS, I think is real progress.

    ReplyDelete