Thursday, June 15, 2017

SUMMER RUN 2017


Saul

A nice young lady from the Marsha Rivkin Center for Ovarian Cancer Research called me yesterday to urge me to enter a team in their 5 km Summer Rub & Walk, to be held in Seattle July 17th.  Many of you will recall that formerly I organized a “team” – Linda’s Team – and entered it, not in the Summer Run proper, but in an event I cooked up called Summer Run North; Hot dogs, beer, and good feelings, running or walking optional, here in Bellingham.  All to raise money for ovarian cancer research, of course. 

Well, sadly, I won’t be entering a team this year.  Age and existential exhaustion are the primary culprits of course, but I must admit to a little pique and exasperation as well.  I have been – nominally, I guess I still am – a volunteer with the Rivkin Center.  From time to time I have been asked for input, mainly in the form of writing.  In the past my contributions were taken seriously.  Lately, however, a new regime has taken over, and my little seeds of wisdom have languished in someone’s in box, or more likely in a round file.  I can’t even get them to correct an egregious error in their new web site!   So, nuts to them!

God, that sounds petty – and it is.  My bruised ego aside, the Rivkin Center is a marvelous institution.  Its founder (pictured above) has raised more than $10 million for ovarian cancer research – and, as a young man of only 81 (and thus significantly my junior) is still at it.  Better yet, the funds are dispersed by a process that evades the pitfalls of government funding, thereby providing enhanced opportunity for innovation.  (I wrote a Rivkin Center blog about that months ago.  Round file again, maybe.)

So what I really set out to say in this blog is that the Rivkin Center is holding its annual race, and you might consider participating, or donating.  For more information, consult their web site

As for me, I probably will give some money to Fred Hutch:




No comments:

Post a Comment