Friday, June 2, 2017

BIOMATH

We had just been to Ecuador

Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK) is located in New York City (NYC).  People must like NYC, because an awful lot of them live there.  Me, I would hate to live in NYC – but I would, if I had the training to work for MSK.  MSK must be the best cancer research center in the world.

NCI (National Cancer Institute) furnishes proof of what I just claimed.  To read it, go to


and you will learn a lot..

When I was in high school we had a science graduation requirement.  The sciences offered were physics, chemistry, biology, and general science.  You had to suffer through two of them.  Most kids who simply wanted to get out of school took general science and biology.  Kids who thought they might try college took biology and chemistry.  A few of us took chemistry and physics.  The ones who chose biology did so by reason of math anxiety.  The point is that biology was thought to be completely descriptive – no math, no formulae, only little knives and microscopes.  I regarded  bio types as nincompoops.

Well, it ain’t that way no more, Zeke.  At least it isn’t where cancer research is concerned.  MSK has developed a program they call MSK-IMPACT.  It involves rapid DNA sequencing of multiple cancer types and includes matching cancer mutations to “clinically actionable” drugs, as well as on-going or prospective clinical trials.  All this is a part of what has become known as “bioinformatics”, which seems to be a sort of polygamous marriage between technology, computer science, physics and math.  My cup of tea.

I’m not going to try to explain MSK-IMPACT and how it’s used.  If I did I would almost certainly screw it up.  Be satisfied to know that there are people out there who smile at the challenge of making sense of mountainous piles of obscure data.  And don’t let Donald Trump shut them down!


No comments:

Post a Comment