Tuesday, November 1, 2016

ONIONS are a girl's best friend

Linda and nephew Cash
2010

Onions are my favorite fruit.  I chop them up and use them with everything – hamburger, soup, chili, scrambled eggs, breakfast cereal.  I have often said that a household without onions is a house without sustenance.  Only bacon, eggs and Reyka vodka rival onions in importance.

Obviously I can’t credit onions for the fact that I have avoided ovarian cancer.  However, some Japanese scientists have shown that onions contain a substance – they call it onionin A (ONA) – that inhibits the growth of OVCA cells in mice.  Apparently ONA does a number on “myeloid-derived suppressor cells”, which, in a manner unexplained, act to favor the growth of tumor cells.  How it works and where we go from here is left unaddressed, but it (this research) seems promising so I thought I’d clue you in.

Oh, by the way – “myeloid” refers to having been derived from bone marrow.  Like blood.

http://www.figo.org/news/compound-onions-could-protect-against-ovarian-cancer-0015395



No comments:

Post a Comment