Monday, October 26, 2015

QUILT FOR A CURE

Linda at Mt. St. Helens
Did you know that there is a Glasgow in Kentucky?  Well, neither did I.  When I saw this article on Google Alerts I thought it was the big Scottish city, where you need a translator to get around.  But it turns out to be a place in Kentucky, where you can probably get along with West Coast English.
It seems that the ladies of Glasgow make quilts and auction them off to support ovarian cancer research.  Linda was an avid and skillful quilter, and I am sure she would have thrown herself headlong into quilting for cancer research.  Most quilters are women, and perhaps the most deadly form of cancer for women is ovarian.  I would like to suggest that quilt guilds everywhere consider doing as the Glasgow (KY) women do: make quilts, have a show, then an auction.  I know I would damned certainly buy one.  If you belong to a quilt guild, why not bring up the idea?
May I also suggest that the money raised be donated to the Marsha Rivkin Center for Ovarian Cancer Research, at Swedish Hospital in Seattle?  I have written about them before; they are the whetstone that sharpens the cutting edge of OVCA research.  (Sorry, my gene for enhancing bad writing seems to have gotten out of control.)  They are at:
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment