Friday, March 6, 2015

NOT OVCA: Life keeps bumbling along.

 
Is this man too old to drive?
Careful how you answer that!
 
About one year ago, I was backing out of a diagonal parking place by the Borrego Springs Post Office when I heard a sharp “bang”.  As it happened,  a very old lady (“very old” is defined as “probably older than me”) also was backing out, from the other side of the parking area.  Evidently we touched back fenders.  Not knowing what had occurred, she drove off.  However the upshot for me was that my (terribly flimsy) left back fender was completely dislodged, hanging by only a few threads.  I drove it back to Bellingham that way, with no problems, and later my grandson-in-law James Weise fixed it for me.  (Alaskans can fix anything.)
Well, today I was driving east on the main street through Borrego Springs.  On an ordinary day it is unusual for more than two cars per mile to be using that stretch of road at any one time.  Today there were a few more.  At a certain moment I began a left turn, then quickly realized that was the wrong place – and turned back.  At that moment a very old man in a BRAN NEW shiny red pick-up attempted to pass me on my right.  (Four days old!).  We nicked each other.  My entire right front (flimsy plastic) fender fell off.  His SHINY NEW RED TRUCK sustained a small dent.  He almost cried when he saw it; said he was afraid to show it to his wife. 
Our insurances have been notified and it appears that neither he nor I will be out any money, although I dread my next insurance bill.  I elected not to file a claim, saying that I would get it fixed myself.  (I have $500 deductible, in any case.)
Oddly enough, James Weise is due to visit next Tuesday.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment