Tuesday, January 20, 2015

KEN BURNS AND CANCER

An early quilt
Definitely a toddler quilt
Wonder who has it now.
On October 10th of last year I wrote a blindingly insightful analysis of current “popular” literature about cancer.  I looked at a dozen or more books and “graded” them, as you might expect an old fogy academic to do.  Only three were rated as “must reads”.  The most ponderous and menacing of the three was The Emperor of All Maladies: A biography of cancer, written (in his spare time?) by a young cancer researcher, Siddhartha Mukherjee.  I didn’t really expect you to consume this work – unless you are as driven as I seem to be.  Well, be golly, you are in luck.  Ken Burns is making a documentary out of Mukherjee’s book!  It is set for release next spring.  When I find out precisely when I promise to let you know.  There are few things in this world that I anticipate more.  (Remember: I’m 81, and I’m realistic.)
Read about it yourself: http://www.cancertodaymag.org/Winter2014/Pages/Emperor-of-All-Maladies-Biography-of-Cancer-Documentary-PBS-Ken-Burns-Siddhartha-Mukherjee.aspx 

Oh, I should have told you about my adventures today.  I went with some birders to the southern end of the Salton Sea.  I saw about 1000 snow geese (at times flying in circles overhead - raining their little treasures upon us), and perhaps land-based 500 sand hill cranes.  It was wonderfully impressive and I enjoyed it - but by next year I won't be able to tell one of these birds from the other!  No hope for me, Brad.
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Uh oh, another link that won't connect - rats...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave you all a defective link. Try the new one.
    http://www.cancertodaymag.org/Winter2014/Pages/Emperor-of-All-Maladies-Biography-of-Cancer-Documentary-PBS-Ken-Burns-Siddhartha-Mukherjee.aspx

    ReplyDelete