Sunday, December 14, 2014

HAPPY HOLIDAYS?


Linda and Ella
                                                                      In her home

It’s wonderful.  The older I grow the more I know, but the less I am certain of.  Take my political philosophy, for instance.  I have always been a small-government, free trade, laissez faire conservative.  I reasoned that this is the best, quickest way to raise the living standards of a society.  It probably is.  But now and then I run headlong onto the story of someone badly marginalized by this political philosophy – which is still in the main the modus operandi of the United States and other rich nations, despite decades of efforts by so-called “progressives” to modify it.  These stories increasingly involve health care.  Here is an example:



What to do?  Don’t ask me.  At 30 I knew.  Now I’m not so certain.

4 comments:

  1. I can't resist commenting on this article, Myrl.
    Universal healthcare, universal healthcare, universal healthcare! The insurance companies have been making billions in profits EVER YEAR forever (I worked for a few insurance companies as an RN). And paying/buying our elected 'representatives'. Yes, there would be messes, bureaucracy, log jams - no different than now - BUT people wouldn't have to make these kind of choices - best practice or nothing. This applies to every medical dx too, not just cancer care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree - sorta. But...how do we afford it?

      Delete
  2. Start by taking the profit out of healthcare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never argue with you, Bunny, but if I WERE to argue I might ask if the search for profit doesn’t sometimes spur efficiency and innovation? But of course I would never argue with you. You know that.

      Delete