Sunday, February 23, 2014

SOME COOL STUFF FROM THE ECONOMIST

Friday Harbor during her second chemo
She didn't let cancer take over her spirit.  Brave beyond my comprehension. 
 
It is snowing in Bellingham.  I have 3 inches of the stuff on my deck, and more is accumulating rapidly.  Sure, for you folks from the great northern steppes this is nothing, but here it is a moderately big deal.  For instance, the 4th St hill in front of my house is now the haunt of sleds and snowboards.  A few cars came up early on, but for the last few hours the only motorized objects I have seen out there are a pair of emergency vehicles, and a tow truck.  This is a good day to stay inside and pack for Borrego Springs.  I intend to leave in three days’ time, when it is supposed to rain.  I have lived in the Pacific NW for 45 years, so rain is my natural habitat. 
Last week’s Economist was a high-grade ore cart of medical information. I am not in the mood to write summaries, so I invite you to read for yourself.
The first article gives you an insight into the economics of drugs.  It may make you hate Big Pharma a little less.  Here it is:  http://www.economist.com/news/business/21596557-there-are-reasons-hope-latest-biotech-boom-will-not-be-followed-another
This next one is a book review.  The book reviewed describes the birth and growth of a small biotech company, of the sort that have been springing up like spring crocuses for the last decade.  I haven’t read it and probably won’t.  The review is interesting, though.  http://www.economist.com/news/books-and-arts/21596489-how-pharmaceutical-world-evolving-when-times-were-changing
Finally, there is an encouraging article about a novel method to combat metastasis in breast cancer.  The method has obvious ramifications for other kinds of cancer.  Re-read my blog on metastasis of a few days ago.  Here is the new article:  http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21596501-better-way-understand-metastasis-secondary-goals
There is a teeny problem here, however.  The Economist won’t let you read more than one article (per month?  week?) free.  I get the print edition so I can read all I want.  They (the Economist) ask you to “register”, for up to three freebies.  As soon as I post this I will see what “registering” entails.  I will let you know by means of a Comment.
Now to find a suitable picture.
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Okay, Economist no problem. To "register" all you need to do is give them an email address and conjure up a password. That will get you three articles per week. Obviously, they want to send you all sorts of promotional emails, but you can opt out of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I have hit the big-time - I just acquired two readers from Saudi Arabia! Also one from Bulgaria. Now for a toe-hold in Central America.

    ReplyDelete