Saturday, February 22, 2014

HUTCH REPORT ON OVARIAN AND PROSTATE CANCER

Henley on Thames
If she were standing there now she would be knee deep in water
Notice how I always seem to pose her with the sun directly in her eyes. 
 
The monthly Fred Hutch newsletter just popped up on my computer.  I really shouldn’t write another blog today; I have churned out two in the past two days, and I risk boring you to death.  However, it is snowing, I have done my knee exercises, and Olympic coverage won’t start for several hours.  I could take a nap, but I think I’ll risk another blog instead.
You can see the newsletter by clicking on
There are three items that are of particular interest.  One concerns the benefits of coffee for men with prostate cancer.  Another describes a method to predict the course of ovarian cancer, using a new technology developed at the Hutch.  The third, of great interest to me, describes the effects of Vitamin E and selenium on the risk of contracting prostate cancer.
I have written about prostate cancer before (3/27/12, with five Comments, all by me.)  Most of the argument at that time revolved around whether or not to use PSA measurements to predict the presence and virulence of prostate cancer.  I also reported preliminary results concerning whether or not coffee is good for you (5/30/12).  Well, this newsletter describes experimental results that indicate that – yes – coffee helps with prostate cancer.  The experiment followed men who already had prostate cancer.  Those who drank as little as one cup per day had a significantly lowered risk of cancer recurrence or rapid growth.  Men who drank up to four or more cups also benefitted, but not by much more.  They also followed tea drinkers, who experienced no benefit at all.  There is some speculation as to why coffee might help, but I will spare you – it is a bit “biofuzzy”.  My take: I drink coffee all the time and I’m going to keep right on doing it.
Ovarian cancer continues to be a tough nut to crack.  Several Hutch scientists have learned that the quantity of TILs active in an ovarian-type tumor will help predict how long the victim will live.  TIL stands for “tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes”   Lymphocytes are part of the immune-systems arsenal.  The more TILs, the better.  The Hutch scientists have developed a method for measuring TIL concentrations.  I find this report less than exhilarating.  We want to fix it so that women do not DIE of OVCA, not predict how long they will last!  But, I guess every little bit of knowledge helps.  I hope. 
Finally, there is a report on the effects of high doses of selenium and vitamin E on the occurrence of prostate cancer.  I find this particularly interesting because, not too many years ago, I was part of a nationwide trial (called SELECT) to see if these two substances helped to ward of prostate cancer.  After a few years the trial was abruptly stopped, and now I know why. Far from preventing prostate cancer, Vitamin E and selenium actually ENCOURAGE it.  Woops!  Back to the drawing board.  But, anyway, I drink lots of coffee and  I’m too old to worry about this kind of stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment