Tuesday, January 7, 2014

OVARIAN CANCER, THY DAYS ARE NUMBERED. Unfortunately that number is still pretty large.


WITH ELLA
Frankly, I don't know what to say about this picture.  She was so brave.
 
We are not exactly winning the war on ovarian cancer; in fact, we’re barely fighting it to a draw.  (I wish I could figure out some way to post the graph on which that lugubrious statement is based.  I will keep trying.)  Anyway, OVCA is not in full-blown retreat, and probably won’t be in the near future.  However, its days are numbered!  I say that after spending many hours reading research proposals submitted to the Marsha Rivkin Center for Ovarian Cancer Research.  There are dozens and dozens of them, all submitted by smart young people with good ideas and the energy (and lab facilities) to follow their ideas up.  Unfortunately, we (MRC) can only afford to fund about 10% of them.  Even so that may total nearly $1 million.  Choosing the winning ~10% will be difficult.  It will involve quite a few experts in the field, each donating time to read and evaluate a selection of the proposals.  Then, presumably, there will be a run-off amongst the best.  I will submit my own evaluations, but don’t worry – nobody will pay any attention.
The ideas run the gamut from attacks on cancer stem cells, approaches utilizing the immune system, using micro RNA to mess up aberrant proteins – to interfering with the cancer blood supply, increasing the efficacy of chemotherapeutic techniques – to early detection,  and even prevention.  And more.  Damn, I wish I knew more about genetics and cancer biology; this stuff is fascinating.
So, anyway, OVCA is doomed.  I only hope I live to see the day.
This is Tuesday.  In three days I will receive my third joint replacement.  After that, only my right knee will be the original bone..  When I was in my 40s and early 50s I ran 12 marathons, one ultra-marathon, countless shorter road races,- and averaged about 20-25 miles/day training, mostly on roads.  After that I hiked every chance I got, until I was 60-something.  Nature designed me to be a weight lifter, not a runner.  I am living proof that bicycling and/or swimming are superior ways to get exercise.  But they’re not as much fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment