Sunday, January 26, 2014

FOREST GUMP AND THE X CHROMOSOME

Covenant Gardens, London
2007
 
I guess I will never really understand genetics.  I know that we inherit a single copy of each of our 23 chromosomes from each parent.  Later the genes on these chromosomes are “expressed” as proteins, which inscrutably complicated and grotesquely misshapen blobs of amino acids go around doing everything important in the body.  I don’t really understand how the body decides which gene from which chromosome(which "allele", I should say) to use.  In some cases the gene on one of the aleles is completely “dominant” over the other – it, and only it, gets expressed.  But there are things like shared dominance, co-dominance, etc.,etc.  What’s a geologist to do?  In my field quartz always is harder than feldspar, gravity always acts straight down, hot things always cool off eventually.  That’s the way the universe ought to work- simple, invariant laws that, once understood, can be put to work.  Not so in genetics, apparently.  Who designed this Rube Goldberg thing, anyway?
I write this because I just read an article in the NY Times telling of how female cells will methodically  stifle one of their two X chromosomes.  You know X chromosomes: get two of them, you’re female, get an X and a Y, you’re male.  It appears that females somehow de-activate one entire X chromosome, by attaching some protein called Xist to it.  If the article is to be trusted, one cell can deactivate the X it got from Mom, while its neighbor deactivates the one from Paw.  Why?  You get one copy of, say, chromosome 20 from each parent, but neither is shut down completely.   Why only X?  Maybe they will figure it out and explain it to me.
This sort of thing has relevance to cancer.  If I understand, failure to deactivate one or the other copy of X results in a superabundance of stuff, some of which causes cell proliferation – e.g., cancer. 
As Forest Gump would say, that’s all I have to say about that.  Read it yourself at:
 


2 comments:

  1. Yes, the way I always understood it was that there are so many genes on the X chromosome, that if women had twice as many as men it would cause lots of problems. The inactivation of the 2nd X is to "even out" the score between men and women. Men have extra genes that women don't have on the Y, obviously, but not much. I think you have genetics down better than you think. I never heard of Xist. When I learned this stuff they didn't know how it happened. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you had been able to work in this field. I think you would have gone very far. Dad

      Delete