Sunday, October 6, 2013

ON VACATION



Snack break, hiking in Yorkshire Dales NP
 Summer, 2000
 
The principal purpose of this blog entry is to inform you that I am not going to be posting anything at all for at least a week.  I am going to Flagstaff to visit Kristen and Joe, and I won’t be cursing my computer until at least the 15th of October.  So, if you need a blog-fix, try re-reading some earlier entries, enjoying Linda’s pictures (their delight never fades) – AND, maybe, thinking about the points I have attempted to raise so as to tell me if, where and how I’m wrong.
However, in passing I should point out to you that today is the 100th anniversary of the American Cancer Society.  The Bellingham Herald with its nose-for-news unrivaled  anywhere, features a very long and mostly valuable article on the occasion.  (My suspicion - that they used it to fill out the Sunday edition to a respectable thickness - is contemptible.)  The article speaks enthusiastically about the reduction in cancer deaths in the past century, and with optimism about advances in the near future.  The fact is, however, that progress so far has really consisted of picking low-hanging fruit.  Some cancers have proven to be easily curable, and some – to a large extent – preventable.  (Toss away that pack of Camels. Get those mammograms. )  Unfortunately, we are making little or no progress against our other enemies.  Pancreatic, for instance, and to all our great sorrow, ovarian.
 


4 comments:

  1. But here's something cool. The Indianapolis Colts narrowly edged the Seattle Seahawks today. Both teams were togged out in PINK! In honor of the ACS centennial. Next year - teal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Next year teal? I like it when you write the good news.
    Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am being unfair to the B'ham Herald in this blog. They not only have printed several interesting articles on cancer this month, they even printed one by me - which I have put in a blog somewhere, previously; Today they feature a particularly good story about a courageous young woman who, so far, has fought leukemia to a standstill. It would do you all good to read it:
    http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2013/10/20/3266421/bellingham-woman-cured-of-leukemia.html

    ReplyDelete