Friday, October 25, 2013

ALSO SPRACH THE ECONOMIST



Linda and Phil Montague
On a hike near Tucson.
Mid 1980s
 
Back on May 22, 2012, I wrote a blog entry about the conclusions of one Dr. Ioannidis of Stanford University, a respected biostatistician, that “It can be shown that most published research is wrong.”  I gave my own version of that dictat: “ It can be shown that most published conclusions are based on faulty statistics”, or something like that. Obviously, a proposition can be correct even though the statistical evidence is weak.  Unfortunately, it also is possible for a proposition to be false, even if it is backed by pretty good stats.  I don’t want to get into stuff like confidence intervals, statistical “power”, Type 2 errors, and other equally arcane and  unamusing topics; I can only get you to read these things if I keep them light and frothy.  But, anyway, it seems that Dr. I is to be taken seriously.  I base that on the observation that no less a serious rag than the Economist made his ideas their cover story this week.  (How Science Goes Wrong.)  I would urge you to read it yourself, but I know most of you won’t .  It’s not light and frothy,  that’s for sure.  So I sacrificed myself and read it carefully.  I think it boils down  to the following set of propositions:
There is too much crap being published.  This is a result of several mutually supporting forces:
                Publish of perish.  You can’t make full professor if you publish just one paper per year, even if it’s pretty good.  Six sacks of you-know-what outweigh one sack of the real stuff. 
                Nobody wants to publish negative results.  If you do an experiment and find out that it doesn’t work you are unlikely to publish it.  If you do send it to a journal,  most of the time they will reject it.
Science is supposed to remain pure because “truth” is only ascertained after an initial experiment is duplicated.  Also, purity theoretically is enhanced by the process of “peer review”, involving several experts in your field reading your paper with a critical eye, and then telling the editor whether or not it should be published.  However:
                Many clever “experiments” have demonstrated that most referees, as these folks are called, are lazy bastards who don’t really do the job right.  And why not? – they have their own papers to write.  Nobody gets promoted for being a good referee.  I was a referee on many a paper, and I should be ashamed of myself.  Besides, referees don’t get paid.
                Nobody wants to repeat an experiment that someone else already has done.  If you get the same result, well –Whoopee!  If you get a different result, who knows who is right?  You get no merit increases or promotions for checking other peoples’ work.  They pay off on original discoveries. 
                Funding agencies are very unlikely to give you a big grant just to check on the work of somebody else.  They want something new, cutting edge, roll back the frontiers -  stuff like that.  Besides – your colleagues won’t like you if you spend all your time trying to prove them wrong.  Nobody will have lunch with you at the annual scientific conference.
Most scientists are poor statisticians.  (That goes for me, in spades.)  Increasingly, researchers are called upon to tease meaning out of enormous data sets.  This is particularly true in biomedical research, but also in some branches of physics and psychology.  Often the result sought is hidden in an enormous amount of noise.  If it were obvious, somebody would have found it long ago.
So, the Economist suggests a bunch of quick fixes.  Some the granting agencies are beginning to insist upon, which is good.  Others, though, are pie in the sky.  We will continue to muddle through, I fear.  Maybe the Jack Andrakas of the world will clean up the mess.  My generation never will.
 
P.S. Was this the most boring thing I ever wrote?  Probably.
 


1 comment:

  1. robholc@clearwire.netOctober 28, 2013 at 4:45 PM

    Definitely not boring, at least to me, having spent a career in science, publishing and acting as a peer reviewer. (I was not employed in academia and therefore escaped some of those pressures – but was subjected to others, however.) Probably would have followed a different career if I knew then what I know now. Anyway, please do not feel that you're boring everyone to tears with entries of this sort!

    ReplyDelete