Friday, October 12, 2012

MY BIOCHEMICAL CAREER PROGRESSES


Linda and Patches
The world's most beautiful woman attacked by the world's most beautiful cat.
(I will tolerate no disagreement)

Back on March 3rd I summarized what I thought I would be doing as a volunteer with the ovarian cancer research people at Fred Hutch.   According to that summary a good part of my effort would consist of what I referred to as “unskilled labor”, meaning stuff I could have done better and with greater enthusiasm at age 7 than at age 79.  As it transpired, there was very  little of that sort of thing to do – probably a tiny accumulation over several years of dull repetitive tasks that would naturally acquire a low-priority rating.  I finished that backlog in a few months, and for a long while now I have been going to seminars, reading, writing my blog, and pestering working scientists – with nary an envelope to lick.  I like reading, writing and pestering just fine, but I have felt that I really should be doing more work commensurate with my pay grade.  (As you know, being a volunteer assures that my pay grade is zero.)  But now, it seems, I have discovered an endless supply of tasks requiring a minimum of skill for me to attack.  To explain:  as soon I get back from Borrego Springs I am going to spend Tuesdays (and some Wednesdays) helping out at the Marsha Rivkin Center for Ovarian Cancer Research! 

The Rivkin Center is in Seattle and is attached to Swedish Hospital, located atop what some locals call Pill Hill.  You can read up on it by going to www.rivkin.org.  The Rivkin Center performs all manner of good works; my chief interest is that they raise money to support ovarian cancer researchers all over the world (currently they are helping to support 12 projects, including in Canada, England and Finland.)  They also run their own clinical trials, which brings me to my main point.

Rivkin is running an ovarian cancer early detection program right now.  It is similar to the trial my Hutch group is running, but somewhat easier to participate in.  It is limited to healthy women who fall into a “high risk” category.  Here are the requirements for participation:

You must have at least one ovary, as well as two or more blood relatives with incidences of breast or ovarian cancer.
Alternatively, if you have tested positive for the BRCA1 or 2 genetic marker you are eligible – assuming you have the necessary ovary, of course.
However, if you happen to be of Ashkenazi  Jewish ethnicity, only one blood relative with breast or ovarian cancer will do.

If you apply and are admitted to the trial you will need to come to Seattle once yearly.  The trial follows a blood marker called CA 125, and also involves yearly ultrasound procedures.  In addition it involves filling out the inevitable questionnaires – thus adding to my backlog of unskilled labor*.  The advantages to you of the trial are obvious: in addition to contributing to a vital study you will – as a “high risk” individual – get close monitoring of a sort you would want anyway, and you will get it for free! 

Okay, enough of my salesmanship.  If you think you might be eligible you should call 1-800-328-1124 for more information.  You Bellingham women especially should consider this: the trial already has participants from as far away as eastern Washington.    

* Don't worry - all of that stuff is "anonymous" by the time it gets to someone as lowly as me.
    

2 comments:

  1. I knew it, I knew it... your fame as a bloger/activist/writer is growing. Now you've been recruited by the Rivkin Center. I suspect it won't be too long before you are writing THEIR newsleter. In the meantime, you're speading the word about this valuable program. Keep pushing paper, Myrl, the Nobel Prize is only a year away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bunny. Thanks for your enthusiasm. What are you smoking these days?

      Is there a Nobel prize in advertising?

      Delete