Monday, June 4, 2012

LET'S GET REAL!


Linda and Amanda, 1987
She loved babies.

I am writing this at the Hutch, as a break from my real work – “QC-ing” a bunch of forms. To” QC” is to do Quality Control on various official documents.  This activity involves either re-entering the data, then letting the computer system compare the original with your effort, or actually going over the form with the original data in hand, checking to see if all adds up.  Either way, it is pretty boring.   If any errors are detected, somebody with a pay grade far above mine does the fixing.  I take comfort in the thought that, if I weren’t doing this, somebody of real value to the outfit would be doing it.  All this caution and care is dictated by the granting agencies and whatever governmental committees or task-forces  are responsible.  I guess it’s all worthwhile.   Sometimes I amuse myself by imagining Bob Butler and Bill Dickinson QCing forever, as punishment for their multitude of scientific transgressions.  (That’s an in-group joke.  Don’t ask.)
What I really want to write about is secrecy, privacy, the hobbling of medical research, and the destruction of trees.   Start with trees.  Long ago, when we went to the doctor, we were greeted by a nice lady who knew our name and told us: “Sit down.  Doctor is running a bit late.”  Often the “bit” turned out to be 45 minutes, or seemed like it, but there were always magazines from the previous decade to keep us amused.  Nowadays, of course, after you identify yourself and state your business you are asked to make an immediate co-pay, then given a thick pile of forms to fill out – no time to read magazines.  The forms ask for information that you gave them just last week.  Almost invariably one of the forms concerns privacy – you are asked to confirm that they – the medical establishment you are visiting – have informed you of your rights to privacy.  I suppose that if one were to ask for such information one would be given yet another sheaf of papers to read.  I don’t know; I’ve never asked.  All I know is that an awful lot of paper is used to no obvious human benefit.  I hope it’s all recycled.
Which brings me, finally, to what I really want to talk about:  I may be wrong, but it seems to me that an excessive concern with privacy and “patients’ rights” is threatening to throttle medical research.  I was aghast to learn the following:  Patient A may contribute blood and/or tissue samples for medical research.  These samples, having perhaps been used for their initial purpose, live on in our freezers (or those of many other medical research institutes.)  Someone, sometime later, decides to study something else.  Let’s say that the original study was to determine the efficacy of CA125 measurements for early detection of ovarian cancer.  Later, it is decided to check for the presence of microRNAs in the blood, also as an early-warning signal.  Before A’s samples can be used, she must be contacted and asked for permission: even if she had originally donated the samples for something as non-specific as “medical research”.   If A has died, her family must give permission.  If her family can’t be located, tough luck.  I have it on good authority that California – that fertile breeding-ground for bad ideas – is introducing some new rules that are particularly pernicious and that  promise to make finding cures for cancers and other bad things slower, more expensive, and – conceivably – impossible.  All in the name of privacy.  Can it ever transpire that a person, having given blood or tissue for study of one medical problem, would balk at the use of those same samples for another study?  I don’t think so.  Is all this another example of CYA, in response to the pack of malpractice lawyers circling the campfire, as I suggested earlier?  Or is there really something important here that I don’t get?  Comments, please.        

9 comments:

  1. When I moved to California, it was the golden state, ahead of the rest of the country in so many areas. Now I would support the northern area spliting from the rest of the state.
    As medical privacy tightens, Facebook "likes" and web page visits are opening up other parts of our lives. Strange world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrl, here is the link the the New Yorker article you mentioned awhile ago: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/04/23/120423fa_fact_groopman. Well worth reading. (Hope the link works.)
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's possible they could do something with your blood or cells that you don't want done. I can't think of any examples, but maybe they're testing for something embarrassing the second time, or maybe they're testing for something that would have implications for the health of your family members, or that would impact your employability (like you are going to get a degenerative neurological disease and be unable to work at age 45). It's a matter of having control over what they do with these pieces of you and what they can learn from them. Most people probably wouldn't say no the second time, but I would want to be asked, I think. And even though there are these privacy laws in place that protect you from having your employer find out about your upcoming disease, there are still times when privacy is violated and someone finds out anyway. I think a lot of people still don't trust that the privacy laws are going to protect them at all times and in all situations. It's too bad that it is impacting research though. Maybe there's a way to make the consent form apply to "all tests for ovarian cancer" or something more general than just one specific study.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, hilarious picture of Amanda!!! I forgot she ever looked like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone needs something to be outraged about. At least I do; it clears away the evil humours and leaves me fit to face the world. Today I am outraged by what happened at my cardiologist’s office. I went there to get my “protime” checked. This amounts to determining the viscosity of my blood; they don’t want it to be too thick because (being in intermittent atrial fibrillation) I might get a blood clot in an unfortunate location, as – for instance – my heart, nor too thin as I might bleed to death from a mosquito bite. So, they measure it by pricking my finger with a tiny blade, then putting a drop of blood into a small gadget. I am supposed to do this every month, but usually I forget. I haven’t been there for about six months. After tut-tutting me, they got out the blade – but first I was required to sign a consent form! A four-page consent form! They called it “consent to prick.” From now on, every time I go in for a protime check I will have to sign an identical form. Entire forests will die to make sure that my blood (and the blood of hundreds of thousands of a. fib sufferers nation-wide) is neither too thin, nor too thick, but just right. Every damned month! This has gone too far! What is driving this accelerating slide into a fearful, distrustful nanny-state? Enough, already! In addition to your primary duty, to advocate for more and better cancer research, you should do something about this nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Myrl, all that paperwork is to protect THEIR behinds if anything 'untoward' happens.

    Carolyn, I hear you. All the paperwork for 'privacy' and yet we live in a voyeuristic culture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with the sentiment that we are far overdoing the privacy issue. I want my privacy respected, but I think signing a form one time and having them put it in my records is enough. I used to be one of those ladies at the Drs office who greeted the patient by name, asked them to have a seat and then gave their chart to the nurse. As far as I know our doctors were never sued for privacy issues. Unfortunately it is a factor of the US society that we are known to be out to take someone to court for any reason. It has taken fun out of many activities. when you travel to other countries you don't see the same overprotective attitude. Yes, in some cases, and for some people who don't seem to make good decisions for themselves, all the overprotection is a good idea.

    I think if you are willing to donate blood/tissue for research you should sign something that releases the researches to do as they want with the studies, but they have to let you know if they plan to publish anything that would identify you.

    Amanda is horrified at that picture of herself! I guess I fed her well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The above was submitted by me. Linda Kelly. Finally figured out how to get my name on there!

      Delete