Wednesday, May 16, 2012

LINDA'S TEAM AND THE SUMMERUN


                                                     Linda and friend, Isle of Sky, Scotland, 1999
                                                 She did all the driving and didn't hit a single sheep!

For 18 years the Marsha Rivkin Center for Ovarian Cancer has sponsored a "SummeRun" as a fund-raising event.  The Rivkin center is attached to Swedish Hospital in Seattle.  The "race" is 5 km - about 3.1 miles - and wends its way through the "pill hill" neighborhood.  Some people will run - some maybe even competitively - but most of us will walk, talk, and sight-see.  Florence DiJulio, Carolyn Joyce and myself are forming a "Linda's Team" for the occasion.   We would like you to participate.  B'hamsters can car-pool; I will drive my new jeep, Carolyn can drive Linda's Subaru, and maybe others will volunteer to drive as well.  A good time is almost guaranteed.  Parking is free!

However, there are drawbacks:
1) It starts at 9 00  am.  I plan to leave at about 6:30.  That's pretty early of a Sunday morning.  (But, see below!)
2) It costs $30.
3) They hope that you will raise money.  I don't like asking people for money, and neither do you.  I'm asking by means of this Post.  Anybody who would like to contribute (and - the Rivkin Center is an important player in ovarian research, closely aligned with Fred Hutch) but can't participate in the event can send me a check, which I will pass on as part of Linda's Team's contribution.  The threshold for me to abscond to Costa Rica is about $5000, so you don't need to worry - we won't get that much.

Other facts:
1) If you raise $50 or more they will give you a T-shirt.
2) Carolyn is designing a Linda's Team T-shirt, which is stunning.  She will inform us of the price and how to order in due time.

To register or get more info, go to www.SummeRun.org.  Or call me:  360 201 1362

OH, DAMN!  I JUST GOT MORE INFO, AND ..... THE RACE STARTS AT 8:15 (!).  I'll have to talk to Florence and Carolyn about what to do. To be sure of getting there in time we would have to leave before 6:00 am.  Maybe we should just hold our own walk, in Bellingham.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun, worthwhile event, but you didn't mention the DATE, Myrl, so I will check the web site. I vote for a Bellingham walk/run, but I understand others may want to participate with other teams (I'll be walking, thanks to my knee). We just went to two different baskeball tournaments in Seattle and had to leave at 7 am - it was a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. July 22nd, a Sunday. Guaranteed good weather.

    ReplyDelete