Tuesday, May 22, 2012

ONE YEAR AGO



In our hearts forever


Linda died one year ago today.  I am sure that most of you didn't need to be reminded of that.  I am spending the day in Seattle, helping out at Fred Hutch; tonight I will get together with Florence DiJulio to plan activities for July 22nd, the day of the Marsha Rivkin Center’s “SummeRun”.  Most likely we will arrange something concurrent, in Bellingham.  The Rivkin Center does good work in the fight against ovarian cancer.  It deserves support.  You should check out their web site.
After the passage of a year I hurt as much as ever.  I never really expect the pain to subside.  However, it helps very much to have something constructive to do, something to occupy my thoughts.  Working with a group doing cutting-edge ovarian cancer research has really transformed my life.  It also keeps my mind active, which (they tell me) is important at this time of life. 
I just got back from checking the Honor Wall in another Hutch building.  Linda will go there, thanks to the generosity of many of you.  She isn’t there yet.  I will keep their feet to the fire.


My gratitude goes out to all of Linda's friends, all her many friends.  Your support throughout that terrible time a year ago was astounding.  i don't know how to express my appreciation.  I know that many of you hurt just as much as Carolyn and I do.   I can't say it too many times: ovarian cancer needs to be wiped from the face of the earth.  











4 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and Carolyn today on this sad anniversary. Hope you are both doing alright. I am impressed with your work with ovarian cancer and I know Linda would be proud. Unfortunately, I don't think I can attend the race on the 22nd because I will be in Vancouver, scouting out housing (we have a team meeting there the week before so I am multi-tasking). If you decide to do a Bellingham version before the one in Seattle, I could attend, and I will certainly donate money and buy one of Carolyn's snazzy t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about that throughout the day. It is hard to believe a year has gone by already. We all miss her but I know you and Carolyn feel it daily, acutely. I am looking forward to participating in the race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A year already. I took the day off so that I could let it enfold the way I needed it to. I watched the slideshow and there she was--with me since the day I was born. Earlier I reminisced with Florence and she reminded me that a year ago was when Linda was freed from pain and illness. I hope to talk to Richard and Myrl--they are in my thoughts. And right now, in Linda's honor, I've popped a Lindt white chocalate candy in my mouth. I'm so happy she had that taste near the end. So today is all about Linda. I'm sad, so sad, but also full of love and gratitude for the wonderful sister I was lucky to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also been thinking of the significance of today. The sadness will always be with me, but so will the good memories. Dad I am glad, and inspired, by your dedication to learning all you can about cancer and the time you spend volunteering. I doubt that I will be in Bellingham for the run, but will be happy to sponsor someone!
    Linda K

    ReplyDelete