Friday, April 20, 2012

NCI PUBLICATIONS.


Most likely this was Linda's first backpack trip.  We over-nighted on Cougar Divide.  For purposes of location Linda is looking at Skyline Divide, with Mt. Baker to her left and Mt. Shuksan in the distance.  She wasn't an enthusiastic back-packer but she was game.  Probably about 1984.

Well, I was going to go outside and walk, hit golf balls, or maybe clip my bushes – but it has reached 102.7 degrees on my patio, with no signs of cooling off – so I decided to read about cancer instead.
Fiddling around with my trusty Toshiba and with the aid of Google I discovered the NCI (National Cancer Institute) Publications Locator.  If you google that and open the proper web site you will find an overwhelming richness of highly comprehensible articles on all sorts of cancer topics.  I just read the essay on BRCA1 & 2 mutations and the risk of breast/ovarian cancer.   You should all do likewise.  I won’t attempt a summary; read it yourself.
I am also reading “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks “, of which some of you will have heard.  I am almost through with it, and when I am I will write a blurb.  At present, my own personal jury is out, so to speak.  One thing’s for sure; light-hearted entertainment it ain’t.
You all know that I am a Research Advocate, advocating as best I can for more (and better?) cancer research.   Partially, I guess, that means urging everyone to hold the feet of any politician threatening to de-fund NIH, NCI, or similar agencies to a very hot fire.  The government spends too much of our money, and spends some of it unwisely – but cancer research should be the last thing cut.  That takes care of the “more” part of the first sentence.  My gut feeling is that we need to work on the “better” part, too, although I’m not sure what that would entail.  Check back later.
Oh, good, it’s down to 102.4.




1 comment:

  1. In just the last few days one friend has been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer and another is in Hospice at the end of her fight against ovarian cancer. It still blows me away that in spite of diagnostic practices, cancer can be in any of us and not discovered until late stages. Medical research is a great place to put our money.

    ReplyDelete