Sunday, April 29, 2012

KILLER T-CELLS: works on mice, why not us?


Linda and her sister Carolyn, 1951

There is an Interesting article in the April 23rd issue of The New Yorker, entitled “The T-Cell Army”.  It is part history and part reportage; the recent history of novel cancer treatments and what is going on right now.  It is mainly concerned with two directions in cancer therapy research: individually targeted therapies based on the cancer’s genome, and immunotherapy.  Emphasis is on the latter.

Like nearly everything I have learned in the past few months about how cells work, how DNA does its job, what causes cancer, etc., immunotherapy turns out to be vastly more complicated than it ought to be: full employment for herds of biochemists, but frustration for guys like me.  What I thought I knew about the immune system and cancer was that the immune system is programmed to distinguish between “Self” and “Non-Self” and attack only the latter.  As cancer is a piece of Self gone wild, the immune system stands by and watches as it destroys the body.  Well, yes and no.

As part of the immune response the body generates various kinds of cells: neutrophils, macrophages and T-cells (sometimes called Killer T-cells, a name I really like) and, probably lots more; remember that my biology reference books is “the Complete Idiots guide to College Biology”.    Neutrophils and macrophages attack a particle of Non-Self (a virus, for instance) by swallowing it whole and then digesting it at leisure.  Killer T-cells, by contrast, attack from the outside; all guns blazing – firing enzymes.  Unfortunately, T-cells need to be persuaded to attack tumor cells.  It appears that there is a protein (CTLA-4) attached to the surface of the T-cell that must  be neutralized with an antibody before the T-cell will attack a tumor.  Other proteins that need to be mollified or tricked also are mentioned; no doubt the case is more complicated than anyone thinks.  Nevertheless several therapies have been devised, largely by using our friend the mouse, that are proving effective against metastatic melanoma.  The side-effects described are horrible, however; another reason to stay out of tanning beds.

At any rate, the article gives one further reason to hope.  As with most New Yorker essays there are numerous little anecdotal interjections; these serve to lighten the biochemical gloom.  Mostly they are about patients and their (often quite favorable) outcomes.   I recommend that you buy the mag and read the article.  I find with The New Yorker in general that its chief attraction is its cartoons, and that many articles lead one to suspect that the authors are paid by the word.  Not so here.  But, as the stupid magazine will cost you $6.00, maybe go to the library.  





15 comments:

  1. OK, Myrl, you probably knew that picture would bring tears to my eyes. It also is getting me to finally send out your blog address to my friends. Hopefully it will bring some new hits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is very cute. Carolyn you were adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She still is. And I stil can't figure out how to follow even though i have a google account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a hair appointment Wed. Maybe I should ask for those bangs. Geez, could they have been any shorter? Myrl, the info about the t-cells is very interesting. You explain things very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, you don't have the blogger.com toolbar at the top? With "follow" on it? I'm not sure what it does to follow as I still don't get email notifications.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found a "subscribe" button near those wacky words you have to spell out. And now I do get email notification!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I'd subscribed, but don't get email notifications. I read the blog when Kristen posts a link! I'll try again...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tried to subscribe again, says I'm already following it! I don't get email notifications, though...not sure how to set that up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to be en route to Borrego Springs - by way of Cordova, Alaska and Eureka, California - for the next two weeks, so lack of new blogs will not (necessarily) mean that I have succumbed to shingles or anything else. I will resume writing about 12/10/15 - God willing and no major sandstorms arise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Myrl,
    I have used facebook twice in my life, both times have been to visit your incredible blog and to get in touch with you. Now, on Christmas Eve, Connie and I have thought about you and all the good things happening to us after meeting you back in 1988 un the fjords of the Chilean Patagonia. Your intelligence, sense of humor and generosity is always with us, your old Chilean students. Much love for you, family and friends. Life is worth living with inspirational people like you in the world. Connie and José

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jose:
      A Merry Christmas to you, Connie, Josecito and Carla. I too look fondly back on those days in Chile, wet and cold that is was at times. I greatly wish that you would make more use of Facebook so I could keep up with your affairs. How, for instance, are your children? They must be grown by now. Is Connie still working? What kind of research are you doing? Any chance of a return trip to the North? Hell – as my kids would say, Get with the program! I would like to know about the life of all my friends, of which you are near the top.
      Un abrazo, Myrl

      Delete