Thursday, April 1, 2021

CHRONIC PAIN" WHO NEEDS IT?


              TWO OF MY FAVORITE PEOPLE

NIH Director Francis Collins has newly blogged about a very interesting and important biochemical development; a means to combat chronic pain. 

I can imagine nothing much worse than living with chronic pain.  Hell, there are nights – not many of them, thankfully – when a tiny little ache somewhere in my aging body will require me to choose between several undesirable courses of action:  either gulp down more pain pills than are good for me, or gut it out, lose sleep, and feel like crap the next day.   Admittedly, I’m no hero, but I can’t imagine surviving with serious pain that never lets up.  Some cancer patients on chemo experience just that.  I hope this discovery helps.

It appears that a scientist at UC San Diego, assisted by 13 graduate students and post docs -  no wonder these guys are so productive! – has found a way to deactivate a gene that plays a major role in the “pain” experience.  He got the idea from studying the genomes of those rare persons born with a total inability to hurt.  (Did you know such folks existed?  I certainly didn’t.)  The tool involved is our old friend CRISPR Cas9, with the gene-snipping enzyme deactivated.  A significant advantage of this new wrinkle is that it can be reversed.  Here, read Dr. Collin’s usual lucid prose:

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2021/04/01/could-crispr-gene-editing-technology-be-an-answer-to-chronic-pain/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment