Tuesday, February 9, 2021

UNIVERSAL GENETIC TESTING


                        Linda in Quito, central square

                 At the time known as pick-pocket central

In this blog series I have written several times about the benefit of universal genetic testing of women for susceptibility to ovarian and breast cancer.  If I had my way, every little girl baby  at birth would have her foot pricked, yielding a precious little drop of blood, which immediately would go into a machine that would test for mutations in the BRCA genes and others known trouble makers.  Surprisingly, NIH has failed to adopt my scheme, citing its rather immense cost.  Well, now a bunch of medical economist types in Germany purport to have shown that some sort of scheme like this is cost effective!  And that’s as much as I can tell you.  Here, puzzle through it yourself:

https://www.journalofclinicalpathways.com/news/targeted-genetic-testing-cost-effective-breast-and-ovarian-cancer 

The analysis summarized above involves  measures like ICER (incremental cost effectiveness ratio) and QALY (quality-adjusted life years).  I googled these objects and – Stanford economics grad though I am – understood them not at all. Maybe you will do better.  Anyway, good news, I guess.

  If we can’t trust German medico-statisticians  we are in big trouble!

No comments:

Post a Comment