Sunday, October 27, 2019

ANOTHER LUKEWARM BOOK REVIEW



Linda, me, and the Childs Glacier
At grand dauther Amanda's wedding, 2011

Clearly, immunotherapy is the medical topic of the day.  You can tell that must be so by the frequent publication of books on the subject.  For instance, just a few months ago I reviewed a book entitled An Elegant Defense, which I didn’t like very well.  Despite its rather misleading title (I thought it referred to the New England Patriots), it was an attempt to explain immunotherapy to the layperson, taking an historical and anecdotal approach.  As the archetypical layperson – I wasn’t very impressed.  Here is my review:


Now comes another such book:  The Breakthrough, by Charles Graebner.  It attempts to cover the same ground, in the same way:  explain the new science of immunotherapy by taking an historical approach, with lots of (interesting) human anecdotes.  It has the advantage over its predecessor in being far less irritating – if you can get past the first chapter with your patience still intact.  I learned a little from Graebner’s book, but not a lot.  I can’t recommend it.

What I am waiting for is a book with a title something like Immunotherapy for Dummies, with chapter titles such as:

The innate immune system, and how it works.
The adaptive immune system and how it works.
How does a cancer cell protect itself from the immune system?
What are tumor- infiltrating lymphocytes (TIL), and how can they be used to combat cancer?
How do checkpoint-inhibitors work?
What, precisely, is CRISPR, and how does it work?
How does CAR-T do its thing?
And finally:
Is there any hope of using these immunotherapeutic tricks against solid and/or metastatic cancers – especially ovarian?

No comments:

Post a Comment