Wednesday, July 4, 2018

ONE IN A MILLION


The Joyce sisters, ready for a night on the town   

I am “ONE IN A MILLION”!  Admittedly I don’t feel like that much of the time, but who am I to disagree with the NIH (National Institutes of Health)?  No less a personage than Dr. Francis Collins assures me that I am OIAM, so I guess I am.  And you can be, too.

Dr. Collins has again stirred the NIH pot and out has popped a new program, named “all of us”, and I have just joined.  The idea here is to collect health data, including blood samples and DNA, from one million Americans – all sexes, races, ages, and political affiliations and then, I presume, turn the data miners loose on it.  Correlations uncovered will be investigated by the people in white lab coats, and cures and or preventative measures extracted.  At least, that’s my guess.  For something like this to work the data set has to be huge – hence “one in a million”.

Anyway, I joined, and I hope some of you do, too.  Joining took me about 20 minutes.  Admittedly, I could have spent that time watching baseball on TV, but I’m glad I didn’t.  This allofus thing might be very useful.. 

https://allofus.nih.gov/

No comments:

Post a Comment