Tuesday, September 19, 2017

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

\
Two kids in the Olympics

This is largely for guys.

Linda was diagnosed with ovarian cancer about nine years ago.  After she had undergone her truly terrible “debulking” operation, her surgeon met with me to explain the situation.  I am positive that he was a good, well-intentioned man and a surgeon of outstanding skill and experience – but I understood little of what he said, and retained even less.  His explanation did Linda, and me, no good whatsoever.  The fault lay with me:  I didn’t know what to ask.  If, God forbid, your female partner finds herself one if the 22,000 American women diagnosed with ovarian cancer each year, I don’t want you to be at a loss for background and understanding.  We can’t all be research biochemists, but there are certain lay-person summaries that are of great help.  The latest and best was just published in The Economist:


I implore you to read this article.  You may have to buy the current issue (maybe $5.00, you cheapskate!).  Do so, then give it to a friend.  An added benefit would be to enjoy a fresh, British-cynical take on the clown show maturing in Washington.


Of course, if you have studied all 531 of my cancer blogs you would know all this already.  But you haven’t, and I don’t blame you.  After all, who wants to think about cancer when the sun is shining, there are trails to be hiked, and Facebook is filled with cute pictures of crows and little kids?  But read them and think about cancer nonetheless.  Cancer will not go away by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment