Friday, October 17, 2014

SHINGLES

Linda and the twins, on a winter day in Michigan
 
I am enjoying a world-class case of shingles right now, so I haven’t much energy to spare for digging into the cancer literature.  Ebola has chased all other health-related stories from my usual newspaper sources, and Dick Ingwall seems to be in transit to Borrego Springs so I haven’t been able to count on him.   Rather than sit around feeling sorry for myself, I decided to see if other people are busy in the ovarian cancer field.  I used my old friend Google Scholar, and confined my search to articles published since January 1, 2012.  I searched for “exact phrases” but left the author line blank.  It seems that in the last 34 months there have been 37,400 papers published containing the phrase “ovarian cancer:.  Getting more specific, I find that over 1000 of them relate to early detection, slightly over 300 deal specifically with prevention, and the rest – presumably – with therapy.  I guess I should be pleased that there is so much attention being paid to ovarian cancer, but I am mildly disappointed that early detection and prevention are so conspicuously under-represented.  And that’s all the energy I have for today.  My main reason for posting  this blog, if you must know,  is to share this wonderful picture.


3 comments:

  1. I just learned that this shingles thing may go on for as much as five or six weeks, and that in a substantial number of cases pain continue for months, or even years! Cuss that kid who gave me chickenpox 75 years ago!
    The word is, if you’re 60 or older, get the damned shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh No! Sorry to hear about the shingles! I hope you have a short case. Is there something you can take to help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they have me on a course of something called acyclovir, or something like that. It's supposed to help. I do seem to be getting better. Woops! Time to swallow another pill.

    ReplyDelete