Friday, June 13, 2014

LITHUANIAN


Linda and Florence
2007 Relay for Life
 
Back on July 2nd, 2012, I wrote a blog called “Myc: Friend or foe?”.  The blog was inspired by a news release published  in the Fred Hutch newsletter.  In my juvenile eagerness to get on top of the subject I tracked down and printed the journal article upon which the news release was based – and attempted to read it.  HAH!  As I said at the time, it might as well have been written in Lithuanian.
Well, I am going to attend a seminar at Fred Hutch next Monday.  The principal speaker will be Dr. Nellie Auersperg, from the University of British Columbia.  Dr. Auersperg is a much decorated research scientist specializing in ovarian cancer.  She will be talking about the role of stem cells in the origin of OVCA.  This is right down my alley!  So much is it down my alley that I used Google Scholar to track down her relevant publications.  There, like a ripe fruit hanging from a low branch, was a review article on the subject – and with a free PDF to boot.  I printed it, made a cup of coffee, and sat down to study.  Surely, I told myself, over two years of study will make this article a piece of cake.  Guess what?  (Yes, I know – you’ve long since deduced where this is going.)  More Lithuanian!!  I still have a lot to learn.
So, I will report next Tuesday.  Enjoy the picture.



2 comments:

  1. Well, this is going to sound disrespectful and maybe a bit churlish, but when did I ever let that sort of thing stop me?
    I went to the talk yesterday. It turned out to be an aural rehash of the paper I mention above. Unfortunately, from my viewpoint it was essentially sub-audible, delivered in Lithuanian, and with a Croatian accent to boot! Much of the fault is mine, of course: plenty of people took notes and there were some apparently penetrating question/answer exchanges at the conclusion. Admittedly, my hearing is crappy and my background almost nonexistent. Still, even research scientists should remember to talk to their audience, not their computer. The speaker is highly respected. Too bad I was poorly equipped.
    One thing I realized for the first time yesterday. If you have one non-functional ear, it is impossible to maximize both auditory and visual connections. If you look at the screen you can’t hear the speaker; if you turn your ear toward the speaker you can’t see the screen. I will use that as my excuse for being so ignorant.

    ReplyDelete