Wednesday, June 25, 2014

3-D MAMMOGRAPHY: What's not to like?


Linda bugging Coleman
Portland, 2007
 
Dick Ingwall writes that he is so busy supplying the Hyannis Port Food Bank with squash that he rarely has time to search the NY Time for cancer-related stories, so sometimes I have to do it myself.  Today I ran on the following interesting article, which I will comment on below.
  The gist of the article is that medical technology has come up with a 3-D scanner to use in mammography.  It catches more potential tumors, it uses only marginally more radiation – and it costs a hell of a lot more.  An individual unit will set you back a cool half mil, assuring that only the more affluent venues will have them – at least for now.  It is stated that some (most?) insurance companies will not foot the entire bill, and that the patient may have to ante up an additional $50 or so, which could be a burden to some.  Nevertheless, on balance this seems like a good thing to me, but wait…..  Not everyone agrees.
Back in February I wrote a blog entitled “To Squeeze or Not to Squeeze”.  It discussed results of a trial conducted in Toronto that compared the efficacy of having a mammogram and breast examination together as opposed to having the exam alone.  It was concluded that the mammogram added nothing to overall survival, while producing unnecessary expense and useless anxiety (e.g.,  false positives).  The counter-attack was, of course, immediate and ferocious.  Here is a quick way to access that older blog:
As you can imagine, the same sorts of arguments are being rolled out regarding this new (3-D) wrinkle.  Is it worth the cost in resources and human anxiety?  The battle rages on.
Personally, I would be very reluctant to disregard any promising new technology in the cancer field.  Cancer is too damned serious to discard any potentially useful weapon against it.  Yes, added anxiety and added expense are bad things - but death is worse.  If I were a woman over 50, or a woman with a family history of breast (or ovarian) cancer, I would get my 3-D scan, and screw the extra expense.  Read the article and see if you agree.
For me, daughter Karen said it best:  “Mammography caught mine so I’m all for it.” 
Damned right!


No comments:

Post a Comment