Tuesday, June 11, 2013

FORCE: May it be with you


 
The worlds cutest woman and the worlds cutest kitten
 
Linda and Patches, probably 1991
 
I am at home today, working on a project for the Marsha Rivkin Center.  Specifically, I am surfing (?) the Web, looking for ovarian cancer foundations all across the land, then extracting information from their websites – and transferring it to a spread sheet.  What we are going to do with all this information is not clear to me; maybe we will try to lay an arm on them to get some of their money, to use to support our researchers.  It is turning sunny outside and I should get out of the house, and leave this stuff ; it is getting a bit tedious.  However, I had my eyelid operated on yesterday and my appearance would frighten small children and cause their parents to glance away quickly – so I guess I’ll remain inside.
This “research” has, however, turned up one thing that is worth blogging about.  There is an organization called FORCE (Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered) that has branches all over the country.   They advocate for research and community education concerning ovarian and breast cancer.  They run all manner of fund raising events, bug politicians, and provide help to cancer patients/survivors.  Their web site is a source of lots of information.  Check them out at http://www.facingourrisk.org/.
Through another web site you can get a “locator” that will tell you which local chapters are nearest you.  Use http://www.ovariancancer.org/resources/partner-members/. 
So, I don’t expect all of my thousands of readers to immediately swamp the FORCE web site.  Unlike me, you all have lives – involving things like work.  But if you feel like getting deeper into the battle against cancer personally, this might be a way.
Isn’t this a neat picture?


1 comment:

  1. No sooner did I post this than I discovered that FORCE is centered around and aimed at BRCA1/2 positive women - in other words, a large subset of breast and ovarian cancer victims. Still worth looking into, I think.

    ReplyDelete