Sunday, March 3, 2013

NOT OC. MORE EXCESSIVE PRAISE OF ME. I promise not to let this become a habit.


 
England, 2007
 
 
This marks the one year anniversary of my anti-cancer blog.  According to the Google “hit counter” this blog has been viewed by 5840 people, hailing from many dozen countries – only Africa and Antarctica have not weighed in.*  I have written 112 blogs entries in the year, averaging one every 3 days, 2 hours and 22 minutes (you needed to know that, right?).    You probably wonder where I get wind of the stuff I write about.  Well, thank God for the NIH Cancer Bulletin, the Fred Hutch newsletter, and Dick Ingwall.  I only make a little of it up.   (No, really.  Would I lie to you?  Of course not.) 
In celebration of this dubious  literary event, let us take several moments to do the following:
Remember Linda.  If you never knew her, read about her.  She was wonderful.

 
Write your Congressman and tell him or her that if he/she fails to work to restore the 5.1% budget cut to NIH you will barbeque his/her  liver.  Write Obama, too, but no threats, or you will find several large men in suits, with wires coming out of their ears, knocking at your door.   
 
Trick a friend into reading this blog.  I make no pretense to literary merit, but I flatter myself by thinking that it helps keep cancer research in the public eye – which can’t help but be good. 
 
I hope you have enjoyed the pictures.  I have quite a few left.  Stay tuned for March 19th.
 
*But, as I have said several times before, I suspect that some of the “hits” from places like Kazakhstan and Paraguay are computer algorithms, not people.


1 comment:

  1. Very impressive work, Myrl. Keep writing and I'll continue to share your blog. This is a lovely picture of Linda. She had many happy years, but I wish she was still having them.

    ReplyDelete