Saturday, December 15, 2012

THE 2012 BECK FAMILY CHRISTMAS LETTER



Well, shoot - the Beck family now consist of only me, but I am sure that Linda would want me to keep the tradition going, so here it is.  Many of you will receive a paper copy in due course.  With more pictures.



MERRY CHRISTMAS
&
a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Without Linda here to gently remind me, I might have totally forgotten about the Christmas letter until it was too late.  However, my neighbors’ lights reminded me.  I am tempted to simply cover the page with pictures, write a few of the usual words, and let it go at that.  Instead, I will give a brief outline of what my life is like now that I am rattling around in a big, empty house.  Really, it isn’t so bad – but it could be a whole lot better.

Most of you know that I am volunteering three days per week in Seattle: Mondays at the Fred Hutchinson Center for Cancer Research, and Tuesdays/Wednesdays at the Marsha Rivkin Center for Ovarian Cancer Research.  I also write a blog (http://ljb-quiltcutie.blogspot.com) describing my adventures.  It is supposed to be funny, but I attempt to sneak in a little information about cancer research.  With Fred Hutch I am a “Research Advocate”, so this blog is one way to advocate, I guess.  With the Rivkin people I just do odd-jobs of a clerical nature, thus freeing time for people with more skills to put them to work in the research end.  When I am in Seattle I stay with my daughter Karen, which gives me a chance to know her better.  So I stay busy and try to be useful.  Do I miss Linda very much?  All the time.

I went to our place in Borrego Springs for a few days early in the Fall, and I’m going back right after Christmas.  I will give a few geology lectures to the Paleontology Society, and help them rewrite the geology section of their student documents.  I also will explore the desert in my new jeep Wrangler.  And go out to dinner a lot – the ladies in the Paleo group take good care of me.

The entire Beck/Kelly clan met here for Thanksgiving, which was a great pleasure.  My kids’ careers continue apace.  Of my three grandkids, the oldest (Amanda) is married and working for Alaska Fish & Game, the second (Olivia) will graduate from WWU this year, and the youngest (Angelina) is a freshman at Montana State University, in Bozeman.  I see Carolyn, Linda’s sister, several times each year.  She helps me with my computer problems, of which there is an endless supply.  I play a little golf when it is warm (I should say “play at golf”: because my game is so bad.)  My cats are fine, my monkey-puzzle tree is magnificent, and I just got a new computer, which promises to give me endless hours of frustration.   My family decided to skip presents this year and donate to ovarian cancer research instead.  If you decide to do the same, go to Linda’s tribute (http://getinvolved.fhcrc.org/goto/lindajoycebeck) and follow the instructions.

The world is supposed to come to an end on December 21st.  In case it doesn’t – HAVE A WONDERFUL 2013.

3 comments:

  1. Myrl, I guess I'm the first one to wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year on this blog. Last year I didn't feel much like celebrating, but this year I have a tree up and a small crowd coming to my house for a party tomorrow, so I guess I'm back in the festive mood. I wish Linda was here to buy presents for, but the growing Fred Hutch fund in her name would both humble and amaze her. Peace to all of you. Hug your children and be kind to all.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. colleenandahi@hotmail.comDecember 20, 2012 at 8:06 AM

    Myrl, don't know if you remember--I was a geophysics student at WWU that worked in the paleomag lab around 1993-94. I'm so sorry for the loss of your wife to cancer and so glad that you are trying to make the best of things by becoming involved in cancer research. Hope your Christmas is joyful and you can reflect on all the happy memories you may have of this time of year.

    --Colleen Riley, Ph.D. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly I remember you, and I'm glad I was involved in your career. I hope all is well with you and yours. Myrl

      Delete