Friday, September 28, 2012

GOOD (CANADIAN) ADVICE FOR WOMEN


In Michigan, about 2006
Always the baby magnet

Well, now  I can be sure I have an international audience, because I have received an email from ”Parkfriend”, based in Canada, with some information I would like to pass on to you.  There is some kind of statistics-gathering gadget attached to Blogspot that tells me, among other things, how many “hits” I have accumulated, and where they originate.  By far the most are from the U.S., unsurprisingly, but I seem to have a huge following in Russia, and sporadic readers in places like Latvia, Indonesia. Turkmenistan, Malaysia, and about 20 more equally unlikely locations.  I wish I could believe that all of these represent avid readers, but I have my doubts.  I have heard of the existence of computer programs that “troll” through the blogsphere, looking for key words.  Their masters are probably trolling for money.  I wonder what the key words are in my case?  “Linda” won’t do, and neither will “ovarian”, and certainly not “cancer”.  Or, instead of money, maybe they think I’m some sort of big-shot geneticist and they are looking for insight and advice.  For the good of humanity, I hope not!

Anyway.  Parkfriend has sent me a link to an article in a Canadian magazine that summarizes good health advice for women trying, as all women must, to avoid getting cancer or ignoring it until it is hard to cure.  I have tried twice to get similar information printed in the Bellingham Herald, to no avail.  They just ignore me.  I would suggest that you drop your subscription to the Herald and take on the Canadian magazine instead – except that  it is likely to be scant on local news.  So, here is the link.  You should check it out: http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/the-sneaky-symptoms-of-women%E2%80%99s-cancers.html .

One problem with this sort of thing is that there is a thin and indistinct  line between being properly attentive to signs and symptoms of cancer, and obsessing about them.  Every person should find that line and stay well on the oblivious side of it.  It is a poor bargain to live a long life if you spend it in a constant state of anxiety.    But, remember – if possible I know less about human psychology than I do about molecular genetics.  Take all my advice with a grain or two of salt.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, ain't the internet wonderful! I occasionally go back through old blogs and adjust the wording; I'll bet published authors wish they could do that. Anyway, I just re-read this one (and changed a few words), & discovered that the link still works, after eight months. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Myrl,
    I just printed out the Canadian symptom list to share with my friends. The trouble with aging bodies, however, is that everything is changing and suspicious. That brings us back to the importance of regular checkups and tests. That brings us to the insurance dilemma and those that don't have coverage. And on and on... That sounds so discouraging and I don't mean it to. The more information we get, the better off we are. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete