Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A DAMNED DISMAL DAY


Linda, Queen of the Desert

 I have run on some useful guidelines on how to avoid ovarian cancer, or correlatively, who should worry a lot and who can be a little more relaxed. (But, remember the symptom index.)  I planned to try to be funny.  But now  I’m just going to spit the information out, post a picture of Linda, and go out on the deck and brood.

The problem is that a young friend of mine, a guy I have known for many years and liked extremely, one of the funnier people I have known – just shot himself.  I guess the signs might have been there, but I never thought anything like this would – could – happen.  When I had to announce Linda’s death 16 months ago, I ended by saying: Life can be painful, but I guess it’s worth the effort.  I suppose that’s still true.

Anyway, I ran on these guidelines a few days ago.  I imagine they are well known to the medical community and also to many, if not most, women in the general population, but some of them were new to me.   So:  here are the guidelines.  Each of these (statistically) increases your chance of contracting ovarian cancer.

Jewish ethnicity
Use of oral contraceptives for less than one year.
Not having given birth
Not having breast fed
A body mass index > 30
No tubal ligation
Use of talc
Periods of painful endometriosis
Polycystic ovary syndrome

If many of these apply to you, and/or you have a family history of ovarian or breast cancer, and/or you somehow know you have the bad genes BRCA1/2  -  form a close, professional relationship with your gynecologist. 

Sorry for being so gloomy.  Sometimes it can’t be helped.

4 comments:

  1. It's a very sad day. He was a very nice person, funny for sure, and he cared. It's unbelievable that he could have done this. Mental illness - not such a fun disease either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sad news about a dear friend. He is gently enfolded in the Eternal Presence

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad. He was a caring, funny person and will be missed. I am sorry I didn't have more time with him, living so far away. It is hard to think of someone in such hopeless pain that they want to end their life. I truly hope that he has found peace, just so sorry we had to lose him.
    Linda K

    ReplyDelete
  4. I come back to this, many months later. It still hurts. What could we have done?

    ReplyDelete