Thursday, August 23, 2012

NOT OC: ANOTHER UNUSUAL MOUSE


I have no idea what's going on here.

My last blog entry introduced the concept of “cancer stem cells”.  I have spent the day reading about them.  (My ribs hurt too much to do much else.)  As often has been the case over the past few months, I quickly found myself in over my head, trying to tread water in a deep puddle of thick, sticky biology.  I will keep trying, but I don’t expect to understand very much very soon.  Nevertheless I want to acquaint you with a creature I have just encountered.  As you know, mice are very important in cancer research.  We have previously encountered the transgenic glowing reporter mouse (blog entry for 7/9/12).  Now I have met the “sublethally irradiated nonobese diabetic severe combined immunodeficient mouse”.  Further on in the article he/she is referred to simply as a NOD/scid mouse.    All I can say is – poor little devil.  Two observations:  (1) Cancer research would be nowhere without rodents, and (2) Cancer researchers may be excellent scientists, but they show little aptitude for poetry.


2 comments:

  1. Thank Heaven for the little mouse that gives his life for us!

    Re: picture - Asking forgivness?, Praying?, promising to clean house/make dinner?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is an important new development in the fight against metastatic breast cancer. Say a prayer of thanksgiving and gratitude for the medical mouse.

    http://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2016/breast-cancer-bone-metastasis?cid=eb_govdel


    ReplyDelete