Wednesday, October 12, 2022

WITH CAROLYN ON DUNGENESS SPIT

Oh, God! Bill Gates has screwed around with my OS again. It will be touch and go if I manage to post this tidbit. If it doesn’t show up you will know Bill & Co won. Oh, that doesn’t make sense, does it? Anyway, I am trying to tell you that Jeff Bezos, who is even richer than Bill, has just laid more than $700 million on Fred Hutch, for some highly commendable purposes: see below. This amounts to about $70 million per year for the ten year duration of the grant. That will sure buy a lot of test tubes. Bernie Sanders might, in his disgruntled, killjoy fashion, point out that, relative to his net worth, that is less than I contribute to the Hutch annually. However, Jeff undoubtedly contributes to worthwhile causes elsewhere, whereas anything left over after my lavish life style mainly goes to Irish Death beer. Besides, Jeff-sized contributions spur new avenues of research where my pittance probably DOES go for test tubes. So, let’s hear it for greedy capitalism! https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?pli=1#search/fred+/FMfcgzGqQvvRpSsjtMdkSQqRNPrzMXvb

2 comments: