Thursday, June 16, 2022

OSTEOPOROSIS AND OVCA


Linda the Kelly kids, Orcas Island
 

This is interesting.  A massive retrospective study of Australian women seems to show that using bone loss medicines containing bisphosphonates also helps prevent ovarian cancer – statistically,  Unfortunately, the news article I found gives no numerical verification of this hypothesis, nor any discussion of why it might be true.  Of course,  this is merely a correlation, not a proven case of cause-and-effect. It may not mean much – although obviously ever little bit of data helps.  For instance, the following is possible, although very unlikely:  (1) women who fear osteoporosis tend to drink more milk; (2) something in milk helps prevent OVCA.

I wish I could give you a link to this little article, but I can’t.  The work comes out of Queensland University and was published yesterday.  Maybe you can find it.

In passing, another recent news article purports to show that vitamin D helps retard the spread of cancer.  That being the case, I am about to go out on my balcony and “bag some rays”, as my student Dr. Steve Sheriff was wont  to say.


1 comment:

  1. Ha! I know there is a special office full of computer experts somewhere dedicated to making things hard for me, but sometimes I out-fox ‘em. Here is the link I couldn’t give you ‘tother day. Read it at your leisure.
    https://www.futurity.org/ovarian-cancer-bone-loss-medication-osteoporosis-2756072/

    ReplyDelete