Saturday, August 31, 2019

DON'T EAT ME!


Linda and Carolyn in Split Mountain

When I first got into this business of studying, writing about, and puzzling over cancer I had some naïve ideas (and still do, I’m sure).  For one thing, I was satisfied with the notion that our immune system gives cancer a pass, because it is “self”.  I had no idea how that occurred; that is, how a cell goes about signaling “I’m harmless!  Don’t eat me!
  
Well, it turns out that – cancer cells, at least – turn this trick by displaying all sorts of molecules on their exterior.  Our innate immune system has these big, ugly bug-eaters, called macrophages, circulating around looking for something “foreign” to engulf and eat.  However, cancer cells (this study involves ovarian cancer and triple-negative breast cancer) display on their surfaces proteins (CD24, CD47) that holler out “don’t eat me!”.  Some smart people at Stanford have hit on a method to make these proteins ineffective.  Good for them!

As you might have guessed, this is another wrinkle in the burgeoning field of immunotherapy.

Read the article.. It’s long, but easy going and interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment