Friday, April 5, 2019

ANOTHER STAB AT EARLY DETECTION


Linda, with a Hunsinger grand nephew

I guess this is worth a blog.  I may have posted more news about diagnostic tests for OVCA than for anything else, possibly excluding immunotherapy.  This article, however, seems to be important.  Dedicated folks at U. Minnesota seem to have done what my now-defunct group at Fred Hutch was attempting to do; define a group of proteins, measurable in a blood sample that can detect the presence of ovarian cancer with high sensitivity and specificity.  They are pressing forward with their efforts.  It seems that this test might work for very early stages (this is the Holy Grail, of course) and even be easy – and inexpensive – to apply. 

Every few weeks I go into a medical lab and have my finger pricked.  A drop of blood is then transferred to a small contrivance the size of a standard flashlight.  The machine cogitates for a few seconds, and then spews out a number that describes my blood-coagulation time.  (I have atrial fibrillation, so “they” want my blood to be thin and syrupy).  I look forward to the day when women, present at the doc’s for any reason, can donate a drop of blood to a similar machine, to guard against ovarian cancer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment