Wednesday, February 27, 2019

CAL POLY HITS THE BIG-TIME


I'm back from Borrego, and never saw Split Mountain

I don’t exactly what to think of this development.   Apparently bio-scientists have been striving for years to devise a way to produce proteins without the use of cells.  They call this “cell free protein synthesis” (CFPS).  Apparently the old fashioned way – kidnap a bacterium (usually E. coli), jigger its DNA to produce the protein you want, feed it nutrient and put it to work, - is too slow and expensive.  Now people at Cal Poly, San Louis Obispo, have devised a means of creating the stuff in a test tube, quick and dirty.  The method is explained by the usual incomprehensible fancy, colored diagram.

Being able to access experimental and/or therapeutic proteins easily and inexpensively no doubt is a significant boon to medical science.  I am a bit worried by their claim that the method is so simple that it can be utilized in a high school chem lab, though.  It CFPS had been available in 1949, no doubt my friends and I would have made something to turn all the   girls’ hair green.  But I guess that kids nowadays are way too sophisticated for anything like that.   

I note with grinding jaws that this work was done by scientists at Cal Poly, SLO.  For ever since I can remember I have been aware that my university, WWU, rates near the top of “Western Regional Universities”.  In fact it usually comes in second – topped only by Cal Poly.  I’m afraid the gap remains huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment