Monday, August 6, 2018

BRAF. GOOD GOD, WHAT'S THAT?


Linda at the Otovalo market, Ecuador

Good Lord, how do they do this stuff!?

In what used to be my line of work (geology/geotectonics) one operates thusly:  First you read the literature, talk to your buddies, and think.  From this, with luck, a clever hypothesis arises.  Next, you tests that hypothesis by first predicting a consequence:, “If I am right then thus and such must be true.”  Finally, you go in the field in search of thus and such, which often may be as tangible and unmistakable as a rock, a fault, or even a mountain range.  If it’s not there, you’re wrong – go drink a beer and start over. 

But these molecular biologists/cancer researchers face no such simple and straightforward task.  First of all, they are dealing with stuff far too small to actually see,, hence must (it seems to me) grope around in the dark searching for clues.  Also, the systems within which they operate are vastly more complicated than anything I ever encountered.  Geez!

Elsewhere I have stated that, if I had it to do again I would go into cancer research.  I take it back:  I’m not smart enough.

So, anyway, today I encountered another gene I’ve never heard of.  It is called BRAF, and when functioning correctly codes for a protein that somehow is vital for proper within-cell signaling.  
Mutated BRAF may lead to cancer and birth defects.

What can be done about it seems to be a work in progress.

Click on the link below and you will read of BRAF and OVCA, as well as many other things.  The lead illustration alone is worth the price of admission.



No comments:

Post a Comment